The purpose of the Coastal Hazard Mailing List is to provide up-to-date coastal flood hazard information pertinent to the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the National Flood Insurance Program. Subscribers will receive new mailings on a monthly basis.
Version 1.1 of CHAMP
Version 1.1 of CHAMP is now available at: http://www.fema.gov/plan/prevent/fhm/dl_champ.shtm
Version 1.1 of CHAMP has been updated to include the following:
- Previously, CHAMP automatically inserted into WHAFIS a default Marsh Grass (MG) base stem diameter as measured in feet. This introduced an error in WHAFIS that needed to be corrected. WHAFIS requires that the base stem diameter be measured in inches. This CHAMP revision enables the marsh grass base stem diameter to be exported from the CHAMP MG card input into WHAFIS correctly in inches.
- Previously, CHAMP could not be run on the Microsoft Windows ME operating system. This CHAMP revision can be used on IBM-compatible PCs with the Microsoft Windows ME operation system in addition to the Microsoft Windows 95/98/2000/NT operating systems.
- Erosion assessments in CHAMP are currently performed for dunes with a crest above the 1% annual chance (100-year) Stillwater Elevation (SWEL). With this CHAMP revision, the user can now perform erosion assessments (removal case) for ground profiles which are below the 1% annual chance SWEL.
- Within the WHAFIS module, new station-elevation pairs had to be manually inserted at the intersection with the 1% annual chance SWEL. In this CHAMP revision, there is now a function that automatically adds station-elevation pairs to the WHAFIS input profile where the ground profile intersects the SWEL. This function will simplify WHAFIS model carding.
FEMA Flood Hazard Mapping Websites
The list presented below summarizes FEMA's flood hazard mapping websites.
Flood Hazard Mapping
- Flood Hazard Mapping Home Page
- What's New in Flood Hazard Mapping
- Flood Hazard Mapping Bulletin Archive
Coastal Hazard ListServ
- CHAMP Home Page (Summary, Download, ListServ)
- CHAMP Resource Page (User's Manual and Sample Downloadable Data Set)
- FEMA Software (Download, Tutorial, UM, Additional Guidance, Sample Data Sets)
Coastal Training Opportunities
A FEMA Flood Map Training course, titled "Coastal Theory and Mapping Course," introduces methodologies and procedures used in the modeling and mapping of coastal flood hazards associated with the NFIP. Although there are no classes scheduled at present, this course is offered on an ongoing basis.
FEMA's National Emergency Training Center in Emmitsburg, Maryland, will host the "Residential Coastal Construction Class," March 11-15, 2002.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Coastal Services Center has a training program for
coastal resource managers concerning technology, coastal management, and process skills. Further information
is available at: http://www3.csc.noaa.gov/cscweb/genericpage.asp?bin=4.
The Solutions to Coastal Disasters Conference will be held in San Diego, California, from February 24-27, 2002. This conference will include the following courses: "Coastal Engineering Manual: A Highlight of Changes in the Shore Protection Manual" and "Introduction to the FEMA Coastal Construction Manual." Both courses will be held on Sunday, February 24, 2002.
The National Floodproofing Conference will be held in Tampa, Florida, from March 25-29, 2002. This conference includes a suite of training courses including "Coastal Construction Manual" and "Floodproofing Techniques." The aforementioned courses will be held on March 25 and 29, 2002.
The National Hurricane Conference, to be held in Orlando, Florida, from April 1-5, 2002, includes a suite of courses, including the Hurricane Planning Course.
View the archive page for all Flood Hazard Mapping listservs.
Last Modified: Thursday, 21-Jun-2007 11:57:20 EDT